Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The real Working World

It has been such a long time since I last updated my blog. 1 year and 2 months to be exact. Many things have changed.I am now a law graduate and currently in the real working world. I am no longer a student who can play around and take things for granted. The responsibilities that I am bearing now are much heavier than ever before. I was a little while working in a small law firm in kl. I was initially eager to start my pupillage there. I enjoyed working there on my first week and I subsequently realized that there were not so much things that I could learn. The firm only does litigation matters and they are very selective in picking up cases. In other words, the areas of practice are not that wide. Few weeks later, I decided to quit. I am now working in a law firm in jb. I look forward to getting tremendous opportunities and experiences that will benefit me in the future.
I have been working there for the past 3 weeks. Throughout that period, i have gotten some useful lessons and learnt the required values that a lawyer must have. I learnt the way to do a good and effective research. I learnt the way to conduct a meeting with the client etc. However, there is another thing that I did not realize before. I now realise that a good lawyer is the one who delivers substance. Of course, language is important. I will touch on that afterwards. But substance is more important than everything else where you are in court. If you do not do preparations, everything will go wrong. Scrupulous attentions need to be given to the issues or points of law. Those points have to be tackled in a very beautiful and creative way by utilizing every resource and legal knowledge. A good lawyer has a very fast mind. Every second is important. One should also have a superbly sharp mind that has the capability to examine things from every scope and perspective.
Another crucial thing that I have realized is the language. Sometimes, we know what we are going to say. But in some situations, we are not able to perfectly convey those things. There are times where people do not get what exactly we are trying to say. I think there might be only two reasons why this happens. First, something is wrong with your language. Secondly, you perhaps do not fully understand what you think you know. A lawyer needs to have a very good command of the english language. And malay jugak lah. This is important. Most of the stuffs that a lawyer (litigator) does require him or her to play with the language whether in writing or oral. Even if you are in fact not a really well known lawyer, you will sound good if you have a good communication skill and you say the correct things at the right time. Perception does matter.
Being a mediocre is easy. Being extraordinary is difficult. You have to do things and grab every opportunity from all sides and angles. This is something that requires passion and hard work. Sometimes, it is not only about hard work. It demands you to be the best creative thinker possible. And I tell you, it is not easy as you think. It is much harder than you have ever expected.
My journey is in fact long. I still have a long way to go. I am thankful to God for everything He has given me. I would like to also thank my family and this one special person in my heart, Siti Hanani Hayati binti Muhammad. They are the ones who keep supporting me directly and indirectly. They are my idols and inspirations. I am extremely grateful to have them in my life. Remembering them everyday motivates me to keep improving myself. What a great bunch of gifts and favors that Allah has bestowed upon me.

No comments: